This page last updated Thursday, August 31, 2006
SAMPLE LETTER to US SENATORS re UK/US EXTRADITION TREATY
Please don't delay - this Treaty has now been slated for hearings on SEPTEMBER 7th 2006. Please immediately contact members of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee with your concerns - if you are a constituent in a state with a Senator on the FRC your help is especially needed! More info here
Find your US Senators names and addresses HERE
|1. Copy and paste the letter below to a Word or other
2. Copy and paste your Senator's name and street address in the GREY areas indicated below.
3. Add your name and address to the bottom of the letter. Print your letter Black ink.
4. Optional - Include suggested attachments section - copy and print documents referenced on linked page below and attach to your letter if desired.
5. Please MAIL or HAND DELIVER your letters ASAP - don't email, emails are often not read by the Senator's staffers.
6. Follow up with a PHONE CALL regarding your letter and ask what the Senator has decided. BE PERSISTENT!!! The phone calls and letters DO MATTER -- they are taken very seriously by elected officials.
- - - - Sample Letter - - - -
Washington, DC address here
YOUR US SENATOR
Local (your city) address here
Dear Senator _____________;
I am referring to the proposed US-UK Extradition Treaty [Treaty Doc. 108-23] which the British government is making an extraordinary effort on Capitol Hill to rush into US law.
I am alarmed that the US Constitution and the rights of American citizens to a fair trial are being swept aside to abide by pressure from the British government to reciprocate on a Treaty that neither its own Parliament, nor its own citizens, were privy to vote on.
This Treaty allows for Americans to be forcefully extradited to, and imprisoned by, Britain -- a foreign nation with no Bill of Rights. Furthermore, the British record of gross human rights and judicial abuses in Ireland speaks volumes for what extradited Americans would face under this appalling treaty. The British record on human rights and ‘fair’ trials speaks for itself with documented collusion between its security forces and loyalist paramilitary organizations in the North of Ireland; mass internment of innocent civilians without trial; rampant forensics doctoring; Diplock military-style, no-jury courts; extra-judicial execution by security forces; documented torture of political prisoners in British jails; and world-renowned cases of persons falsely accused and knowingly imprisoned by Britain for decades.
Furthermore this Treaty unnecessarily expands on
the existing 1986 Supplemental Treaty in removing the political
exemption clause, leaving this US-UK Extradition Treaty open to abuse in
unfairly targeting American on account of their race, creed, nationality
or political opinion.
YOUR STREET ADDRESS
Back to US/UK Extradition Treaty
BACK to Irish Freedom Committee